2.10.2013

February FE | NOM: Dahlia D'Luxe, Burlesque Performer

Name: Dahlia D'Luxe
Age:
26
Occupation:
Burlesque Performer at Tease and Thank You Burlesque
Zodiac Sign:
Pisces
City/State:
Akron, OH

 
Who is Dahlia? Dahlia D'Luxe has delighted many with her "sexlarious" burlesque style since arriving on the burlesque scene in late 2010. As a founding member of the Cleveland-based comedic burlesque troupe, "Hilar-A-Tease", she danced and hula hooped her way through various cities and shows including Pretty Things Peepshow, Sin and Skin, Cleveland's Ingenuity Fest, and more! In addition to touring as a solo performer, she can be found dancing with the "Tease and Thank You Burlesque" troupe from Cleveland Exotic Dance. She lives in Akron, Ohio with her husband, Chuck Wagon (stage name) and her dog Peter Nincompoop (not a stage name).
 
Why is she our February FE | NOM? Because sometimes women need a reminder that it's ok to be sexy, funny and smart. This femme is the whole package! 

What makes you unique? 
I like to take the classic art of the striptease and add a comedic element. There is just something to be said for a beautiful woman doing a beautiful dance while wearing a giant feather wig and pasties on her ass. I also play the ukulele and do hoop dance/hooplesque, which is exactly what it sounds like! Dance with a hula hoop! ;D

What's your favorite beauty/fashion item? 
I wish I was a girly-er girl than I am and I had a fabulous answer for this! But for sure two things: Lip balm and mascara! Burt's Bees is a must and I have some in every bag I carry -- even in my wallet! And nine times out of ten I won't leave the house without mascara! If you don't do anything else, curl and mascara those lashes! It makes you look instantly put together! I love the Revlon Grow Luscious mascara, it really works for me. Gives that big false lashes look!
  
Why did you get into Burlesque? 
I got in to burlesque because I love to perform and I needed a new creative outlet. After college I felt like I was transforming too much "into an adult", whatever that means; too much responsibility and not enough fun, I guess. I veered away from performing and I didn't like it. Burlesque gives me the opportunity to entertain, make people laugh, and be naked...and those are three of my favorite things!

How do you choose your costumes for your shows? 
I choose costuming based on the song that I select for a number. For a bit I have coming up based on the AMC show Breaking Bad, I'm doing everything in Meth Blue and White. I have a French Poodle bit in pink. And of course, EVERYTHING IS COVERED IN CRYSTALS AND GLITTER!! The sparklier and shinier, the better! :) As for who makes the costumes, I fancy myself a DIY showgirl for two reasons. 1. I need to have control over what it looks like so I have no one to blame but myself. 2. I am broke. If I could have someone make opulent costumes for me, I would!

Burlesque dancers come in all shapes & sizes, any advice on overcoming body issues? 
This is the beauty of burlesque. While it's true that before you strip in front of a crowd of people you may want to be "confident in your own skin", burlesque affords people the opportunity to express themselves through the art of the dance rather than just taking off their clothes and going "TA-DA!" When you are doing a burlesque, people are going to be most entertained by your actual performance. Your worst critic is yourself and people are definitely not looking at your body with the same critiques as you do yourself, no matter how much you think they are. My body isn't perfect and I had to learn this lesson. If you want to do burlesque or anything that you want to express yourself, do it! Do it and be proud of your beautiful self...every last inch!
"The shows are always fun, different, and entertaining! There's usually not just stripping, there can be a variety of different talent including vaudeville style acts and it really makes for a fun night out!"

Any marriage tips? 
Dahlia & Her Husband "Chuck Wagon"
Laughter and forgiveness. Those are the two biggest components of my marriage I think, aside from him being my 'soul train' (soulmate). We are always trying to make each other laugh at any and everything. Forgiveness is important because you are both going to f-up. A lot. And if you can find someone who is always willing to come back and work it out instead of doing a 'cut and run'...you've got it made. 

What do you want to be when you grow up?   
The thought of having a "regular" job has never been appealing to me, no matter how hard I try to tell myself I need one. My real dream is to be a professional showgirl and do burlesque for a living. I'd love to travel the world doing shows! It would be amazing and I still hope to get there someday! 

What do you wear to bed? 
My birthday suit. I bought it at Kohl's on sale! ;D

How are you leaving the world more beautiful? 
I recycle, I don't eat meat, and I adopt shelter dogs. I hope I can leave this world more beautiful through kindness and love!

What advice would you give to your 18-year-old self? 
Dear 18 year-old Dahlia, RELAX! Your life is going to change. Consistently. Things are not always going to turn out how you expected. Stop trying to control every situation and predict the future! You can't! Just go with the flow and enjoy the ride, girl!



To find out more about Dahlia, follow her on facebook or check out Tease and Thank You!

Know a Femme Phenom, contact me to nominate her! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!