4.25.2011

One Man's Junk, is his Girlfriend's Treasure!

Rusty had a lot of things from the 80's & 90's stacked in boxes in what would soon be the guest room. These items consisted of cards from family members, generations of ex-girlfriend paraphernalia (which was dealt with accordingly), a random collection of froggy stuffed animals (???), and a wonderful cassette tape holder.*

*I forgot to take a before picture, so this is a sketch of what we believe the suspect looked like:



I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I know I wanted to do something shadowbox-y. I found this awesome tutorial on one of my favorite blogs, House of Smith's and got inspired.

I started by knocking out the planks, but careful to keep them in good shape ... for this & other projects. Then I spray painted the box & a couple planks in white. I also used Shelley's idea of tiny, painted clothes pins. After all of the paint dried, I took a sand paper block to weather the box, some of the planks, and the clothes pins. Before replacing the back of the case, I stapled some twine to both sides. Then, I added a hanger bracket on each side. AND VOILA!

                             

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! Great job :) I actually have one of those, too and I will be using your idea... eventually, one day.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!