3.24.2013

How To: Tufted Headboard

I know it's been a while, and I'm sorry for my lack of updates, but I promise it's for good reason! Our townhouse is getting some facelifts and I can't wait to show you everything! One of my weekend projects was to create a headboard, which was surprisingly cheap and easy, and I just had to share.

My goal was to replicate this one (Originally $499), and I made it for roughly $30! Here's how:

Items:

  • Plywood - $12.00 (Home Depot)
  • 2 yrds Fabric - $8.00 (Hobby Lobby) 
  • 59" Foam - $10.00 (Hobby Lobby)
  • Staple gun
  • Drill (if tufting traditionally)
  • Thread & Needle
  • Glue Gun (for creating buttons, not seen here) 


PREP FOR TUFTING THE TRADITIONAL (er...hard) WAY
Check out Kara Paslay Designs for the how-to on tufting (and a really great ottoman tutorial) or skip on down and I'll show you the lazy girl's way of tufting!

1. Lay out foam across the plywood.


2. Measure where your tufts will be mark those spots


 3. Drill through the tuft marks.

MAKE YOUR HEADBOARD

1. Lay down your fabric, then the foam, then the plywood. 

2. Wrap the fabric around all three and staple around the edges on the back side of the plywood. 
**Pinch the fabric with your index and thumb and fold down, creating a triangle to finish the corners. 

3. Cut off the access fabric. Once this is done, you'll see if there's any puckering or spaces.

Here's the finished headboard:

... I started to do the tufting in the traditional way, then realized I was too lazy to go on, my margarita buzz was wearing off and I had a handy staple gun beside me. So I finished it by stapling! I will be adding buttons or studs to it over the staples, but haven't decided which I'd like. What do you think? 

Clearly, I'm no photographer...my curtains are Bogarting the picture! Get outta there, Curtains! 
Happy Sleeping!

xoxo,


1 comment:

Leave me some love!